
Redwork embroidery is a form of needlework worked in monochrome, or a single color thread. As the name suggests it is normally worked in red thread as at the time it was first popular (the 1800's) the dying technique used for red thread was colorfast whereas other colors weren't. After the extravagant use of decorative embroidery on crazy patchwork, the late Victorian stitcher began to use redwork to stitch useful items for the home, such as dish towels, pillow covers or shams, and quilts.
Several years ago I was given this Santa pattern at a club meeting of 'Ladies in Red' in Las Vegas, NV. I finally finished stitching it and am thinking this antique red velvet ribbon may be unique with it. It will probably turn into a holiday decorative pillow but we will see how the inspiration comes as it is finished.
I adore red work too, and your Santa is just wonderful!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Terri