Monday, April 8, 2013

My Old Kentucky Home

Last weekend I walked into a local thrift shop bookstore and much to my amazement on the top shelf display was this beautiful plate.It was nestled between a row of books as an accent piece so I didn't think it was for sale. I love redwork and redware so I was immediately drawn to it. As I looked closer I saw the roses and then the small inscription 'Bardstown, Kentucky.'  


My heart skipped a beat!!! I've spent a lot of time recently doing genealogy research and my family has very early ties to this county in Kentucky. I knew this piece was meant to come home with me. A real gift because it was only marked at $7-- but most importantly there is a connection to the piece that words can't describe.

Red roses are the official flower of the Kentucky Derby since 1904. Every year there are over 400 roses hand sewn into the winners garland.  

I love the details around the edges of the plate and it's in perfect condition.

 Now it's home with me and my Old Kentucky Home has new meaning for me!

~Tanya

12 comments:

  1. Hello Tanya, What an absolutely beautiful plate and very historic too. Great Find. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tanya!
    Your plate is gorgeous and at such a good price. My mother was born and raised in Louisville and that plate would mean something to me also. Thank you for sharing.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So wonderful to find something that connects with your heart like that!

      Delete
  3. Your blog is so lovely! What a beautiful plate. You were so lucky to have found it! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to see that your plate is now 'home'. Gorgeous colours and so lovely that it has significance and will be cherished from now on. Take care. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It definitely has found a new home with me!

      Delete
  5. Hello Tanya. What a sweet story. And what great find. How nice that you have such a meaningful piece in your home now.

    Hugs,

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful little story...I found a simular one but in Blue & White but for 10.00 and I love it just like you do yours.. It's lovely with it Roses that surround it... Happy weekend with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice- nothing like finding something beautiful to make our hearts beat a little faster.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your comment with me. Sweet comments are like treasured friends. ~Tanya