Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Sentimental Thrifty Journey

Early last spring I was exploring a local thrift shop. I had gone on a whim thinking maybe, just maybe I would find something I loved and had to take home. Now anyone who goes to thrift shops knows that if they have something in mind there is a chance they may walk out empty handed or may find an entirely different treasure.



I'm always on the lookout for things I love- antique linens, crystal and china, textiles, unique buttons and things with a romantic style. As I neared the back of the store I hadn't found a thing I just had to have. I glanced over at the pictures and frame section and peeking from behind a few dusty nondescript picture frames I saw a hint of white lace. My heart started to beat a little faster! Could it? Could it be? Lace crochet- the real thing- in a beautiful frame!!! 


As I reached toward the white lace so lovingly peeking out at me I had to move a couple of other photos and as I moved them into sight came two more crochet lace framed pictures. I couldn't believe my eyes! My first thought was how did these end up here?! The hand crocheted pieces had been custom framed and now they sat on a dusty thrift store shelf. I started to think of the many hours someone lovingly stitched the pieces. Who was she? Where had she lived? Who were they made for? What was her life experience while she was making these? and now how could they possibly be right in front of me waiting to be taken to a loving home.


I turned the first frame over and saw a minimal price tag and I thought to myself there is no way I can pass this up and not take all three home with me. A lucky day indeed but more importantly I connected with the stitching and the love someone had put into them. They had meant something to someone, some place and now they were to mean something to me.





I learned a few poignant lessons that day. Enjoy the talents you have been blessed with. Share them freely with others. Enjoy the fruits of your labor and live with things you create. Revere someone else's work when you see it and honor their gift. I felt a closeness to this artist and perhaps more importantly I loved myself and treated myself a little kinder that day.

I've crocheted, sewn and done handwork for most all of my life. I've been blessed with a very few small pieces of handwork from my grandmother.I wish I had more but I treasure the few items I have.  Now I have been blessed with a few more pieces of handwork someone, somewhere made and now are in my home. A treasure far beyond a thrifty find!!!
~Tanya

Sharing with:
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson  Share your Cup Thursday
Thrifty Things Friday
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday

11 comments:

  1. These are truly beautiful and look lovely on your wall. Thanks for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so pretty! I adore the handmade ones. Beautiful flowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look beautiful on your wall. I love your respect and appreciation for another's handiwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya, I have many of these same thoughts when I run across hand maid linens and lace. I too am more than happy to bring them home. I am sure that who ever made them was smiling as you connected with her. I love them displayed so lovingly in your home! Thanks for sharing them with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for visiting my blog, Tanya! It's nice to meet you! I am your newest follower on GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful project!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    Hugs,Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story that so many can relate to! You were meant to find these tucked away and to receive that message. Gives me goosebumps! I know that I could see a bit of myself in your post. As I spend all my time creating for swaps or presents for others but rarely keep anything for me. I suppose you can say what I keep are the things that I create for my home. But so much lands in the hands of others. With the memory of doing them faded away. Thanks for reminding me to take time to enjoy what I love to do!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your comment with me. Sweet comments are like treasured friends. ~Tanya